Thursday, September 09, 2010

A celebration of the first five years...


I just returned from a quick trip to San Luis Obispo to celebrate Haaken Theule's fifth birthday! It was worth the 500 mile round trip in two days.

Am I serious?

Absolutely! Here are a few reasons why...

1. Haaken is one of my eleven grandchildren.

2. Haaken is one of the brightest five year old's I know and I would go just to have him tell me about his creative dreams.

3. Haaken has one brother and two sisters that I am crazy about, too.

4. Haaken loves farm animals--especially roosters. How uncomplicated can life be for a five year old?

5. Haaken is growing up too quickly for me...soon enough he will be a teenager, and I don't want to miss these years, even if my visits are infrequent.

I take my assignment as a grandfather seriously. In this season of my live as I near retirement age I am excited about some of my new responsibilities...and one of them is making all the birthday celebrations of my grandchildren.

Maybe not this year...but soon!

No comments: