Thursday, August 26, 2010

Home again


We've been away from home part of the last five weeks, an unsual planned and unplanned time of separation from our church and home.

When we arrived home after a ten hour drive from San Diego last Sunday evening--late, because of unplanned stops--we were exhausted but ecstatic about 282 California Drive, our home for the last seven years.

When I arrived at the office Monday morning for a short check-up (it was during lunch and no one else was here), I immediately squeezed behind my crowded desk and into my well-worn chair, and breathed a sigh of contentedness--glad to be back in a familiar and welcome place.

As I have worked this week, in the midst of 100 degree weather and multiple work-related challenges more than once I have said, "I am glad I am home."

Last night Beverly and I went to church for the tenth in a twelve part series called "The Truth Project". Our attendance was low--there were 35-40 of us--because it was 105 degrees outside and this series requires a determined disciplined mindset. As we listened I looked aound the cool air-conditioned building that has been our church home for the last four years and thought once again, "I am glad I am home."

Home is often the familiar and comfortable place, the place that represents family and friends, the place that is marked by regimen and predictability. It is often a place, as well, ripe with both disappointment and happiness.

I am glad to be home again!

No comments: