Thursday, June 10, 2010

awash in washington


We just returned from four of the most beautiful days in the state of Washingtton. My wife's brother and sister-in-law, now retired from the dairy business, have carved a beautiful home out of the side of a hill overlooking the Spokane Valley.

When I think of Washington, I think of green hills, beautiful evergreens...and rain. And I was not disappointed on either count. It was incredibly green and beautiful but it rained off and on the whole time we were there.

Noormally, I would havebeen disappointed because I love the clear blue skies and the glowing sun, especially in late spring, when it is still relatively cool. And, of course, since we were on a short vacation and I was looking forward to hiking and enjoying the outdoors. If I had known the extent of all of these weather variables before leaving I would have been "awash" with disappointment.

But Washington did not disappoint. Our hosts were terrific, our accommodations were five-star and the setting was heavenly. We walked every day, hiking through
verdant vegetation and enjoying breath-taking views. I am a fledgling photographer but was enamored with the ever-changing skies and spent alot of time endeavoring to get National Geographic-like pictures of the surroundings.

I have thought this week about how what we don't know before hand is sometimes a blessing. It potentially could pre-empt some wonderful experiences enjoyed, evenw itha ll the unexpected variables. I guess that is what adventure looks like.

For most of you, a few days in Washington hiking and taking pictures may seem pretty tame; for me it was a time of rest and refreshment. I have been revelling in its memories--and ongoing benefits--since my return to the now browning hills and escalating heat of summer in Amador County.

I know...quit complaining; who knows what adventure awaits us here this summer...?

No comments: