Wednesday, August 27, 2008

death of a vision


Tragedy can snatch a vision from one's grasp without warning. An acquaintance of mine birthed an inner-city work that was ravaged by a horrible flood and he is just now resurfacing in a new ministry. Another personal friend who works with young people recently experienced the untimely death of a young person under his care struck by lightening. He is processing his grief and grappling with God's purpose in continuing his ministry there.

How the enemy wants to gut our vision of something grand and beautiful for God! He will do everything he can to discredit us, discourage us, divide us, destroy us. He knows that if he can get us looking at the wrong things, he can kill the vision that we have.

Staying focused on God's call and not being deterred by the concerted efforts of the enemy to change our view of things by causing us to look away from what God has called us to do is a matter of disicpline. I am reminded of Hebrews 12:2 where we are challenged "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning its shame..."
The death of a vision comes when we cease to look at God and allow our eyes to only see what is around us, not unlike Peter, who walked on water until he took his eyes off of Jesus. He sank and would have drownded, if not for Jesus' hearing his cry, "Lord, save me!", Matthew 12:22ff.

Don't let your view of things be shaped by circumstances; instead, look at Jesus, and keep your vision clear and focused. Don't let the enemy steal what God has shown and revealed to you by obscuring it with obstacles. Hold on to it tightly and see God's plan and purpose in the middle of the storm.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Pastor Dale,

Thanks for posting this today. I needed to hear it! As you may know, my husband Phil and I are adoptiong from China. This is a LOOOONG process. It is easy to get distracted, just today I had someone tell me I should just give up and switch to another adoption process....Someone I know who truly just has a heart to see me as a mother..but all the same, a distraction for me...I needed to hear this today to confirm that we not crazy to follow the peace in our hearts for the vision the Lord wispered in our spirits years ago.

- Rachelle
with1step.blogspot.com

sweetlise said...

Amen to that, Pastor Dale, amen to that. Your blog entry was straight from the Lord and brought some refreshment to my weary spririt this weekend. I know I've been called to what I do, but yet this very week was under such attack it felt unbearable at times. I was just sharing with a sister in the Lord about reminding ourselves in times like these of who He is; of His character, His promises, His provision, His protection, and His purpose in our lives. Thanks so much, and God bless. :-)
Liseanne

jr_yak said...

I much needed reminder. I thank the Lord for how he uses you to speak into peoples lives especially mine. Pray'n for you.