Wednesday, February 14, 2007

walking


A treadmill does not provide scenic accompaniment to exercise. Going up and down our local high school bleachers is also less than inspiring in terms of landscape and atmosphere.

Today I decided to drive a few short miles to a nearby river. I parked my car and then proceeded to walk three miles along the meandering Mokelumne River. The sun was shining--it was a cool crisp 55 degrees--and the water was racing, the beneficiary of a recent 2-3 inch downpour long overdue in our county. All in all, it was delightful and I came back to my office rejuvenated!

We often refer to life as a journey. We talk about our daily "walk" with God. All too often our walk can be treadmill-like, simply going through the motions because we have to. At other times it is overwhelmingly arduous, much like running up and down bleacher steps until we are breathless with exhaustion.

But there are times when our walk with Him is like sharing a stroll along a meandering river, with all of the beauty of His creation surrounding us, the stillness of the quiet blue sky enveloping us and the music of rushing water serenading us. It is as if the voice of God whispers to us, "Be still and know that I am God".

Walks like this are the wonderful part of the journey.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Pastor Dale,
I just found out about your blog and after reading your posting, I just had to let you know that this is so true. Right now, I find I am strolling along with my Father in very happy circumstances.
In 2003 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer that had spread to my lungs, liver and spine. After 5 courses of chemo it was in remission. Then in 2005 they found it in my brain. I had over a thousand tumors which affected over half of my brain. They gave me two to four months to live, but I gave it to the Lord. I went to a healing service last fall with people who truly believe in the power of prayer and I believe I was completely healed at that time. To satisfy others I went for a PET scan just recently and found out that I truly am healed. Praise God! He is my Healer and my Saviour and I give Him all my praise. But I must also thank you for all the great sermons that have helped my understanding of God and the need for faith.
Needless to say, I wish I could attend your church and listen to your teaching, but I am thrilled to be able to communicate with you again.
In Christ,
Debbie Ragland

Unknown said...

it was good to hear from you; where are you now? i thank God for your answer to prayer.