Friday, November 18, 2005

HOPE

*Multiple myeloma, five kids under the age of twelve
*Liver cancer, three small boys
*Life-threatening hematoma, senior citizen
*Widowed lady, no children or family
*Crumbling business, broken marriage
*Alcoholism, fractured family
*Infidelity, divorce, grief
Is there any hope? And, if there is...how is it communicated? How is it translated into its life-transforming potential?
In each of these situations in which I am involved at some level I am overwhelmed at the crisis of need. I feel painfully inadequate to address these incredibly challenging circumstances. I have wept myself at the level of pain encountered in each. And I have wondered in my position as a pastor what I can "bring to the table" that will offer hope.
I stand firmly-grounded in my faith, with these truths in tact.
1. God is not surprised by these crises for He knows all things, even the final outcome, Revelation 21:6.
2. There is nothing new about these circumstances and God provides "a way of escape to bear it", I Corinthians 10:13.
3. God's grace is sufficient for each situation and each person involved, II Corinthians 12:9.
4. The final outcome is uncertain, but God's purposes will be accomplished, Romans 8:28.
5. Therefore, I can rest in Him, Matthew 11:28.
I am not suggesting that we merely recite these truths and assume that we have installed some magical formula that will bring an end to our doubts and fears; rather, I am acknowledging
that pain is a part of the human circumstance--some of it even self-inflicted--but that the message of hope is available to everyone of us in Christ, who offers us His love, His strength, His grace, His time, and His rest.
That's my reason for hope.

No comments: