Thursday, March 11, 2010

dark clouds


Driving home from Sacramento on Monday, we headed up Highway 16 towards our turnoff to Sutter Creek and reluctantly traded the sunshine for black clouds that welcomed us with a somber darkness. The change in a moment of time and within the space of a few miles was stunning.

I awakened this morning, having experienced a great day on Wednesday of renewed hope and optimism, to a darkness that followed me most of the morning. I wondered aloud, "Where did that come from?" As I visited with a friend later I confessed that I was caught unaware by the menacing cloud that blanketed me with an overwhelming sense of sadness.

As I sit at my computer facing a full day yet with Hospice visits, premarital counseling and a board meeting, I am reminded how the enemy would seek to bring perpetual darkness to our lives. His desire is to make us creatures of our emotions and to manipulate us through feelings that vacillate from one season to another--from one moment to the next.

I have made a conscious decision today to celebrate my life, and my relationship with the One who said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." John 8:12.

No comments: