Friday, July 01, 2005

Do you want to get well?

"Do you want to get well?"

Jesus asked a lame man that "silly" question one time. He had positioned himself in a place for healing--it should have been obvious--but Jesus still asked the question.

It is possible to be spiritually, emotionally, psychologically or physically ill--and to find an awkward kind of "comfort" in that position. We may like the attention, dislike the effort required to change what has become the norm, even resist the mystery and challenge of what could be.

Somewhere in the process of illness we have to address the question, "Do I want to get well?"

If the answer is a determined "yes", then we can submit to the process of healing--whatever it may be--acknowledging that healing often takes time. It may even be painful, requiring discipline, dependence upon others, accountability, medication, self-empyting, etc.

In any case, it will require partnership with God and an acknowledgement of His Word. Here's His promise, "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness throughh our knowledge of Him..." II Peter 1:3.

But we have to want to get well!

1 comment:

Suzette said...

Hi,

I am from Tim's church in SLO. This topic really hit my heart.

I do want to get well, but I am learning to accept God's plan what ever that is.

Once I was obsessed with getting well. I did anything and everything(diets, accupressure, accupuncture, homeopathy, chiropractic) I thought I could will myself well. Then for awhile I gave up on being well as I had tried everything and it hadn't helped much(some bitterness sellteld in at this point).

Now I do want to get well. I have even made some interesting promises to God if he would make me well. There are so many things that I would delight to do if my health permitted. I have learned that I have no ability that is not God given and that God does not need me to do anything(you know - be a Mary not a Martha).

I think the dependence upon others (the hardest), the discipline, accountability and the pain would be easier if I knew for sure that I would get well(in this life).

Because there are people who need me and I can't will it away, I do my best with the hard stuff and I remind myself of God's promise to Paul "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness..." 2 Cor. 12:9 This verse I love as my illness' (Myasthenia Gravis or MG) main symptom is muscle weakness.

I also try to be grateful for all of the valuable lessons I have been taught while faced with this illness(which are too many to write).

Thank you for letting me share on you blog.